Charles J. Spiess
Commercial and Retail Leasing
Corporate Finance and Securities
Mergers & Acquisitions
Real Estate Private Equity
Commercial Purchases and Sales
New York, 1997
Charles is dedicated to helping growth-stage companies, middle-market companies, family offices, high-net-worth individuals, private equity firms, and other clients achieve their business goals.
Charles is the Chair of the firm’s Corporate Department and is known for his teamwork, commitment to clients and ability to deliver business-minded legal advice and help clients achieve their objectives.
Charles focuses on mergers and acquisitions, venture capital financing, corporate finance transactions, securities law, joint ventures, private placements and general corporate matters, across a broad range of industries that includes commercial and retail properties, life sciences and technology.
For example, Charles recently assisted in
• The $40M purchase, joint venture, private placement and financing of a commercial property.
• The $30M sale of a privately held life sciences company to a private equity buyer.
• The $35M purchase and financing of a commercial property.
• The $25M sale of a privately held a medical management solutions company to a private equity buyer.
• The $100M sale of a privately held real estate brokerage firm to an affiliate of a public company.
• Securing hundreds of millions of dollars in debt and private equity financing for dozens of growth-stage companies.
In addition to handling specific transactions, Charles regularly serves as outside general counsel for privately held companies at various stages of development, ensuring that they are appropriately structured, scalable, and positioned for growth.
An active member of the community, Charles has served on boards including the Greenwich Y.M.C.A., Greenwich Youth Lacrosse and Rocky Point Club.
Before joining Diserio Martin, Charles was an associate at a prominent New York law firm, where he gained extensive experience advising public and private companies in a wide range of industries, with regard to mergers and acquisitions, securities transactions, and general corporate matters.
Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, J.D., 1997
University of Rochester, B.A., 1991
Cardozo Law Review; Director of Greenwich Youth Lacrosse